In order to support a healthy balanced level, the ideal pH of drinking water should neutral – slightly alkaline – matching the ideal pH level of our body.
Do we really need to drink Alkaline Water?
It is known that the best drinking water is one with low concentration in minerals, and that is the spring water.
Contrary to this, alkaline water (also known as hard water) has a high concentration of Calcium and Magnesium. Hard water is not dangerous to our health if it’s not consumed on a regular basis, but it’s not beneficial either 😉
Disadvantages of using Hard Water
- In zones were the ground is very calcareous, people relying on wells for their water supply often suffer from kidney stones.
- Hard water is not tasty, therefore it doesn’t really satisfy the thirst sensation.
- Alkaline water will cause dry skin and even dry hair.
There is a lot of hype around the idea of drinking alkaline water, and some companies have manufactured all kind of devices to change the structure of water by ionization just to make it alkaline. Be cautious about this.
Be aware of alkaline ionized water quackery!
How can you maintain a neutral pH?
To tell the truth, in a normal case we don’t really need to worry too much about it. When we are healthy, the pH balance is corrected by our body through the lungs and kidneys. What we can do is just try to avoid the acid producing situations:
- Avoid too much exposure to electromagnetic fields and spend some time outside to oxygenate your lungs, while treating yourself with some negative ions.
- Worry less and try to relax. There are many methods of spa therapy for relaxation.
- Aerobic exercises by nature are meant to oxygenate your body and one of the most relaxing and enjoyable form of aerobics is actually water exercise.
- Eat a balanced diet containing healthy foods.
- Drinking enough water will help wash out the eventual acid producing toxins
– In case you suffer from heartburn and need to drink alkaline water, you can add a pinch of baking soda or sea salt in your glass.
– An alternative is to add some freshly squeezed lemon juice to the water you drink (the lemon juice appears to be acid, but inside our body it becomes alkaline, like all citrus fruit).
* In addition, it tastes good, is refreshing and will help you stay hydrated