If you are sometimes confused about how to stay hydrated, you are not alone. It’s easy to forget to drink water, and I am one who does it all the time 🙂
The thing is that, there are several reasons that make us often fail to drink enough water:
- first, the older we get, the less clear is the sensation of thirst
- we often confuse thirst with hunger
- we may also confuse thirst with the urge for drinking other beverages (beer, alcohol, sodas, coffee, etc..)
Tips on how to stay hydrated at home
If you want to make sure you stay hydrated all the time, here are some tips that helped me. I hope they will be just as good for you too 🙂
Make your drinking water easy
Choose a glass (not plastic) pitcher easy to use and of the right size. A Water Pitcher is very convenient to use at home. I bought one with the capacity of about 10 cups, filled it and placed it in a handy location. Each time I see it I remember to take a sip or more… A pitcher is also good, because:
#1 – You can have your water at what temperature you want:
– if you like cold water, you can keep in the refrigerator,
– over night you can keep in out, so you can have your first 2 glasses in the morning at room temperature.
#2 – From a pitcher, you can drink small quantities of water throughout the day. This is better than swallowing too much water at once – it can shock your body, especially if you are very thirsty.
#3 – With a pitcher you can also keep track of the quantity you drink. My husband and I have each its own pitcher 🙂
More tips on drinking water:
- Fill your pitcher at night when you go to bed. This way you can take a sip of water in case you wake up, or cannot sleep. – A glass, or half glass of water at room temperature will make you sleep better.
- One or two glasses of water first thing in the morning will hydrate you and will also act as a laxative.
- If you like coffee or tea – you need to have some sips of water after, because they are diuretic beverages.
- In case you are trying to quit smoking, drink a glass of water when you have the urge – It will help, guaranteed – and it’s so easy… I did it many times 😉
Make your water tasty
Filter your water
Spring water is the best water to drink. I personally like the taste of pure water. Unfortunately, the chlorine added to our tap water is not only unhealthy, but it tastes bad too.
– My solution is using a very good carbon filter which gives a wonderful tasty water – it’s like drinking fresh from the source. You can find many good water filters, and I suggest you to buy shop online, because you can read the customers reviews.
Are you one of those who don’t like the taste of simple water? Well, the rejection is not an option. Here are some more ideas on how to stay hydrated:
Add some flavors
Sometimes you may just have the taste for something a little more exciting than plain water.
You can use the same water pitcher and add to it with some slices of lemons or limes with the skin – no need to squeeze them if you don’t want your water taste sour. The cut slices and the skin will release just enough flavor to make it tasty.
Make sure you don’t add artificial sweeteners and you make them from natural ingredients – freshly squeezed citrus fruits are best for this purpose.
* add a pinch of salt to them too – this will help you hydrate better.
Make your water appealing to the eye and taste – a little extravaganza:
- Use a nice shaped glass and not a mug or a plastic cup
- Add a colorful straw – you will feel like you are on the beach, and also you will not spill the drink 🙂
- A leaf of mint or some other decoration would be a nice addition, too.
- Sparkling water or mineral water with some slices of fresh seasonal fruit will also open up your appetite for drinking, and will satisfy your thirst
- If you add some ice cubes to your glass of water, this will make it more pleasant to drink.
Here is an easy recipe:
- Take a tall soda glass
- Fill it half way with filtered tap water
- Fill the other half with sparkling mineral water
- Add 1-2 ice cubes
- Add a slice of fresh-cut lime or lemon
… If you indulge in alcoholic beverages, make sure you drink more water – they are the worst diuretic drinks (even more than soda drinks).
Concerned about your weight?
Check my drinking water for weight loss page
I hope you found these tips on how to stay hydrated useful – Cheers!